Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Dunsmuir Part 5

One beautiful morning, I dedicated to explore the area south of Dunsmuir. I went about 7 or 8 miles south on I-5 and pulled off at Pollard Flats to see if I could find anything of interest. That was when I came across the E. Raymond Huber Bridge. This suspension bridge. that traverses the Sacramento River, was the first major CCC project to be completed back in 1933.



It is a still a very sturdy bridge and I would not hesitate to drive my car on it, but today it is only a pedestrian bridge.







After checking out several more bridges, I came across a spot where I could view three generations of bridges that crossed the same location. The bridge below was built somewhere in the 30s and was part of US-99 and is still used today. The bridge for I-5 above it was built in the 60s.



The following is what is under the bridge for US-99 above.





Less than 300 feet from the arches of the above bridge that was built in the 30s is this bridge that was built in 1915. The date in embedded in the concrete. Thus, three generations of bridges.

No comments:

Post a Comment